Whether it is resources or time, not every MetaTrader user has Windows. For non technical users it can be a hassle to set everything up.
Here is a quick solution for Mac users:
- Download WineBottler from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org
- Copy WineBottler and the Wine.app to your Mac.
- Start the WineBottler application.
- From the “Download” Section, click “Metatrader 4″.
- Give your App a name.
- Do not let the installer create a Desktop shortcut.
- Do not let the installer run Metatrader after installation.
- The installation is now complete. Run Metatrader from “On My Mac” or wherever you decided to install the App to.
Since Metatrader is natively designed for Windows and is supposed to be run on Windows XP (or later), there can be stability problems.
Known issues (MT4):
- Strategy tester: Setting dates do not always work.
- “A debugger has been found running in your system. Please, unload it from memory and restart system” (commonly seen in FXDD).
- Popups for indicators and expert advisors dont always “pop up”. Intermittent issue.
- Open or pending order manipulation. Frequently seen with Expert Advisors that use DLL’s
- DDE does not work.
Known Issues (MT5):
- MT5 client and strategy tester unstable. (Crashes)
- MT5 market and news tabs will not work.